Dermal fillers and injectables are popular non-surgical treatments that are common among men and women seeking facial enhancements. Many patients can see improvements in the texture and volume of their skin, which can help them look more refreshed and youthful. In addition to helping reduce signs of aging, dermal fillers can help enhance facial contour and lift sagging sign. Since fillers do not require any surgery to achieve the desired results, many patients see improvements much sooner. Thankfully, dermal filler aftercare is fairly simple and doesn’t require any bandages or limited movement. There are still some important steps that patients should follow.
Within the First Hour of Treatment
- Immediately following treatment, you may experience some redness, bruising, swelling, tenderness and/or itching near the injection site. Please avoid scratching, massaging, or picking. These occurences are normal and disappear within a few hours to a few days. If you experience these occurrences more than three days, please contact our office.
- As part of your aftercare we will prove you with an ice-pack and arnica cream which will reduce or resolve potential bruising.
- You may also take Tylenol to reduce any pain when necessary
Within 6-10 Hours of Treatment
- We recommend that you avoid drinking alcohol or partaking in strenuous exercise, as it may result in additional bruising.
- Until any swelling and redness has resolved avoid intense heat in the treated area(s). This included sun tanning, saunas, hot tubs, or hot wax. Also avoid extreme cold such as skiing or other winter sports.
- To help alleviate bruising, we recommend the topical application of Arnica – a natural oitment commonly used to reduce bruising. You can find this in the natural foods section of your grocery store, or at local pharmacies. We will also apply some in our office.
- Minimize movement of the treated area(s). However, if there is a visible bump, you can massage the area. Depending on the areas treated and the product used, you may feel “firmness”. These areas will soften and settle with time. (usually 1-2 weeks)
- Sunscreen and makeup can be applied, and the area can be gently washed with a gentle cleanser. Dr Zeitoon recommend using a sensitive cleanser such as the Gentle cleanser from ZO Skin Health to avoid additional skin irritation.
Additional Dermal Filler Aftercare Recommendations
- For most patients, the benefits of dermal fillers can be enhanced by using a medical-grade skincare system, such as Obagi. Products containing Vitamin-C can strengthen the skin and improve laxity and texture. Additionally, use of Retin-A helps rebuild cells in the skin’s epidermis. Over time, Retin-A can strengthen skin, improve firmness and resiliency. This product is available for purchase in our office, or though a prescription. Ask Dr. Zeitoon about the best concentration for your skin.
- 98% of skin damage (aging, wrinkles, dark spots, and hyperpigmentation) is caused by sun damage. Wearing sunscreen is critical to maintaining the look and health of your skin.
- Sunscreen should be re-applied after every 4 hours of sun exposure. Dr. Zeitoon recommends a sunscreen with an SPF of 45 of greater.