“I have always believed that hair is a very sure index of character.”
Losing hair as we grow older is almost inevitable, but some people suffer from this more than others. Either starting at a younger age or being in a distribution that is more noticeable. Although more common in males (50% of males >50 years old start losing hair), this has been a growing problem for women as well. Part of it is due to nutritional, genetic, or even environmental factors.
In the field of hair restoration therapy, evidence supports PRP therapy as a promising treatment option to promote hair growth, especially when other correctable causes have been ruled out. PRP hair treatment has become an essential part of hair transplant procedures done worldwide. Recommended before and after the procedure can help improve it’s long term results.
PRP can help stimulate hair growth by stimulating stem cells, decreasing cell apoptosis (death), and increasing neovascularization (the blood vessels) thus strengthening hair follicles.
What causes hair loss and what can I do to prevent it?
Different factors can result in hair loss, the most famous would be:
- Family history/ hereditary hair loss – most common. Usually occurring gradually typically with a receding hairline and bald spots in men, or general thinning in women.
- Hormonal changes – Due to pregnancy, postpartum, menopause.
- Medical problems – Thyroid abnormalities, scalp infections, iron deficiency, depression, gout, heart problems, diabetes, lupus. So keep track of your medications & thyroid level.
- Medications or radiation therapy- If you are being treated with chemotherapy, ask your doctor about a cooling cap. This can reduce your risk of losing hair during chemotherapy.
- Poor hairstyle or hair treatments – Avoiding hairstyles, such as braids, buns or ponytails, and avoiding harsh treatments can help prevent hair loss
- Smoking – This was noted to increase hair loss.
What’s the difference between PRP hair restoration and Vampire hair restoration?
Essential method is the same which is the injection of PRP in the scalp to stimulate hair follicle growth. This can be done with or without roller or SkinPen microneedling. Nevertheless, the Vampire procedure has developed in a way that includes more than just PRP! Also, it involves the injection of vitamin B complex, use of CaCl, and Amnion (yes you heard right! amnion which is derived from the amniotic membrane). Amniotic membrane is rich in collagen and various growth factors that support the healing process to both improve wound closure and reduce scar formation. This method used for years now in dentistry, ophthalmology, and orthopedics. This is why it was only logical to add this treatment to our treatment regimen. And don’t worry, the amniotic membrane is harvested only from donated birth tissues of live babies, no stillbirths and no abortions!
Is PRP hair restoration painful?
The scalp is typically a sensitive part of the body. Most offices do local analgesics with BLT creams then do the PRP injections. While this is sufficient to control the pain and make the procedure pretty tolerable, this may not be enough to a large number of people getting it. In Chrysolite Aesthetics, we decided to go with a complete scalp block before the procedure and so patients will not feel any kind of pain. This is achieved through few injections to block the nerve supply to the scalp (much like Dental block).
How long does it take to see the results of PRP hair restoration?
Within 6-8 weeks you should see improvement with continued changes for 4-6 months. It is recommended to have at least three to four treatments spaced four weeks apart for best results. Yet, some may see changes after just one treatment!
What is different about how WE do it?
- Our Doctor will evaluate your problem and try to identify any treatable/preventable causes.
- We use only the most purified plasma to be injected, and use the rest, also called PPP (Platelet Poor Plasma) while microneedling the scalp.
- We microneedle with our treatments! This has been showing to improve the response to PRP treatment.
- When you buy the 4 sessions package, you will get a FREE laser cap to take home and continue treatment while in the comfort of your own house (an 850$ value!)