Botox injection is one of the most popular non-invasive procedures in the United States. At Chrysolite Aesthetics medical spa, we are pioneers in providing Botox and other neuromodulators injections. For our patients, it is essential that they have all the needed informations and guidelines to follow before coming and after leaving our clinic to guarantee their maximum satisfaction and comfort. It is extremely important that you know all about the dos and cautionary don’ts before and after having Botox Injections.
- Don’t receive Botox if you are allergic to any of its ingredients or if you previously had an allergic reaction to any other botulinum toxin product such as Dysport® (abobotulinumtoxinA), or Xeomin® (incobotulinumtoxinA). It is contraindicated to get Botox injection if you have a skin infection at the planned injection sites. If you are allergic to cows’ milk, refrain from getting Dysport too.
- After your Botox Injection, don’t apply excess pressure, including wearing tight hats, to the areas that were injected with Botox. DON’T Massage, rub or apply pressure to the injected sites for 24 hours after injection. This is mainly a protective measure against the spreading of the injected material to undesired areas of the face like the eye muscles, which can cause a temporary eyelids drooping. DON’T lay down for at least 2-4 hours after the completion of the treatment. Also, it is recommended to sleep on your back for the first night and not to lie on your face for 5 hours after injection to prevent any spreading of Botox to undesired areas.
- Avoid vigorous exercise for 24 hours after treatment to decrease the risk of bruising which may occur due to exercise (due to elevated blood pressure). Normal daily activity can be resumed straight after 24 hours following treatment.
- Don’t undergo any other facial procedure, even mildly invasive, such as microdermabrasions, microneedling, chemical peels, or any type of facial for up to a week after injection unless cleared by your doctor.
- Some of the over-the-counter medications that may seem harmless and familiar to patients are the worst enemies of Botox injections. This is because such medicines can cause blood thinning, which will lead to bruising during or after Botox injection. In general it’s recommended to avoid these supplements/medications 1 week before your treatment:
- Alcohol intake
- Any aspirin containing over-the-counter product
- NSAIDs (nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs) like ibuprofen and naproxen
- Rantidine (Zantac)
- Herbal supplements like ginko biloba, garlic, ginseng, fish oil, dong quai, feverfew, and turmeric
- High potency vitamin E
- It’s contraindicated to get Botox injections if you are pregnant, planning to be, or are breast feeding. However, there is no definitive study that proves or denies any harm or danger if Botox is injected into pregnant women or those who are breastfeeding.
- Avoid Sunbathing, sun tanning or heat lamps after Botox injection.
- Since any Botox treatment takes about 2 weeks to show full effect, don’t rush back to add any more Botox before 2 weeks have passed since your last injection.
- Read all the DON’T before you go on
- Tell your doctor as much about your medical history as possible so she can determine whether you are a good candidate to receive cosmetic Botox injection or not. You should give her a full data regarding medications or supplements you are taking, allergies or medical conditions you have and if you have or will have any medical procedures (i.e. recent Botox, surgery, other treatments, etc.). Remember to mention if there is any chance you are pregnant too!
- Book a follow-up appointment 2 weeks after the injection. This will give the prior injection some time to settle and we can better see the results, and decide whether any additional touch-up injections are needed.
- Be patient; to see the results of your Botox injection you have to wait from 4-7 days after the procedure.
- Take some Arnica before and after the procedure if you like to limit your chances for bruising.
- Call your doctor at any time your have questions or concerns. Our team is always near by and happy to answer any of your questions.